PHMSA Outreach: Requirement to Pass the UN 6(d) Test Expanded
PHMSA Outreach: Requirement to Pass the UN 6(d) Test Expanded to 4 Additional Explosive 1.4S Entries
Mandatory Compliance Date (May 10, 2021) Coming Soon
Take action now
As previously announced on this website on September 29, 2020, on May 11, 2020, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) of the U.S. Department of Transportation published Final Rule HM-215O implementing provisions to harmonize its Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR parts 171 to 180) with various international standards. This final rule included expansion of the requirement to pass the UN 6(d) Unconfined Package Test to four additional Explosive 1.4S entries:
A copy of the HM-215O final rule can be downloaded from here:
- UN0349 Articles, explosives, n.o.s.
- UN0367 Fuzes, detonating
- UN0384 Components, explosive train, n.o.s.
- UN0481 Substances, explosive, n.o.s.
Not later than May 10, 2021, PHMSA approvals of products under these UN entries must:
IME recommends requests related to the above-listed actions be submitted to PHMSA as soon as possible and no later than April 10, 2021. For more details, please see the compliance summary on IME’s website at the following:
- Be updated by PHMSA to indicate compliance with the 6(d) requirement (such an update will be issued upon submission of appropriate, successful 6(d) test data to PHMSA), or
- Be up-classed to something other than 1.4S (for example, 1.4D or 1.4B), or