Rep. Charlie Dent (R-PA) Champion Award Recipient for the 114th Congress
September 22, 2016
Washington, DC – Congressman Charlie Dent (R-PA) was presented the Institute of Makers of Explosives’ “Champion” award for the 114th Congress based on his outstanding work in the U.S. House of Representatives that positively impacts the safety and security of the commercial explosives industry.
Among his many accomplishments, Congressman Dent is a champion because he:
On behalf of the commercial explosives industry, we thank Congressman Dent for all of his hard work.
- Took on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to end the automatic denial of hazardous materials safety permits, the majority of which are held by motor carriers of explosives, and to ensure that due process was preserved if permits were revoked.
- Told the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) to update current safety regulations concerning ammonia nitrate storage instead of imposing costly new regulations on industry.
- Fought to ensure that FMCSA complies with the FAST Act’s CSA requirements.
- Blocked a premature regulation dealing with ammonia nitrate security that would have crippled the industry.
- Worked to secure funds to assess the threat of a full range of potential explosive precursors used by terrorists and to determine reasonable steps to protect these products for legitimate use.
IME is a nonprofit association founded in 1913 to provide accurate information and comprehensive recommendations concerning the safety and security of commercial explosive materials.