PHMSA Outreach: Requirement to Pass the UN 6(d) Expanded to 4 Additional Explosive 1.4S Entries
On May 11, 2020, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) of the U.S. Department of Transportation published Final Rule HM-215O implementing provisions to harmonize its Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR parts 171 to 180) with various international standards. This final rule included expansion of the requirement to pass the UN 6(d) Unconfined Package Test to four additional Explosive 1.4S entries:
- UN0349 Articles, explosives, n.o.s.
- UN0367 Fuzes, detonating
- UN0384 Components, explosive train, n.o.s.
- UN0481 Substances, explosive, n.o.s.
- Be updated by PHMSA to indicate compliance with the 6(d) requirement (such an update will be issued upon submission of appropriate, successful 6(d) test data to PHMSA), or
- Be up-classed to something other than 1.4S (for example, 1.4D or 1.4B), or
For more details, please see the compliance summary on IME’s website at the following: