1913 - 1919
The first formal meeting of the Institute of Makers of Explosives was held at the Annex Hotel in Chicago on July 15, 1913. The headquarters was established at 1640 Otis Building, 10 South LaSalle Street, Chicago.
The founders agreed that only manufacturers east of the Rocky Mountains would be considered for members.
In December, consideration began on carrying blasting caps on the same vehicle with other explosives. This was the first of a series of discussions which ultimately led to the adoption of the IME 22 Container.
A credit bureau was established to share customer credit experience among members.
One company adopted the practice of marking all cartridges of explosives with the word "Danger" and IME recommended that all members follow this practice.
Some items on the agenda this year were the possible production of a film about the use of explosives, the increasing use of coal mining machines and the decreasing quantity of powder used per ton of coal mined.
Standardization of the quality and type of dynamite case lining paper was discussed.
The first issue of Safety Library Publications (SLP) Number 1, "Standard Storage Magazines", Number 2, "American Table of Distances," Number 3 "Suggested State Law on Explosives," and Number 4, "Suggested City Ordinance on Explosive. " The first operating budget was $10,800 plus $10.00 for General Counsel’s fee.
The Bylaws were amended to permit Canadian manufacturers to join as non-voting members.
A map showing the location of powder mills was produced for the first time.
IME recommended that caps with less strength than number 6 be discontinued.
The first list of "Do Not’s" was issued in poster format.
SLP Number 5, "Rules for Storing, Transporting and Shipping Explosives" was first published.
A proposal was made to begin compiling price statistics on high exploisves and black powder effective January 1916. This was the beginning of the Open-Price Association function of IME.
The attorney for the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) advised IME that he believed "Open-Price Societies" were a good idea.
The IME office was relocated to 1402-04 St. James Building, 26th and Broadway, New York. The monthly rent was $40.
Membership in the Institute was extended to include manufacturers throughout the entire United States.
IME stated its position that all demonstrations which included donation of explosives be discontinued. "Any customer wishing to try any explosives should be willing to pay for the same."
The first regulations on licensing explosives purchases were implemented as a result of the Federal Explosives Act of 1917 which was passed after the U.S. entered the First World War.
In May, the office was moved to 103 Park Avenue in New York.
Placing a steel box in front of the driver of an explosives hauling wagon as a receptacle for blasting caps was discussed. This was a continuation of the evolution toward the IME 22 Container.